Home » Discussion Board Questions

Discussion Board Questions

WRITING SECTION

Introduction

My name is Amal Aboseria. I am from Egypt but I moved to America when I was 8 years old. I lived in Brooklyn for about 5 years then I moved to the Bronx. I am still thinking about what I want to do so I am in Undeclared Science. It will for sure be something in the Medical field though. I love writing and drawing, I’ve been in every art class throughout my 12 years of school. I always join art competitions too. In 11th grade, we had a school project where we drew portraits of orphans in Afghanistan and sent it out to them. One show that inspired me to be pat of the Medical Field is “The Good Doctor”. It is very inspirational because the main character is an autistic surgeon that has very good skills but no one believed in him because of he has a type of syndrome. However, he kept trying and prove himself by saving so many lives. It made me realize that one person can change many peoples lives.

Experiences with Peer Review

After writing an essay or a paragraph, some mistakes can slip while we don’t see them. For example, my classmate’s paragraph was all perfect except that she forgot to put the author’s name and page number so I pointed that out for her. When another person goes over your work, they can suggest ideas like adding or removing stuff in order for your writing to be professional. This will improve your reading time by time which teaches me and my peers to improve on things we lack and also to communicate. 

Hit and Run Quotes

Family also plays a main roll in situations like this. They can support you or they can make you condition downgrade. In “The Yellow Wallpaper” by Charlotte Gilman, the narrator goes through an unpleasant experience as a hysterical patient. She was prescribed “the rest cure” treatment where she just has to sit and rest. This makes her husband, John, a physician, become so controlling and strict not allowing her to socialize or do her favorite hobbies, like writing, until she gets better. Not knowing that it will only make her condition worse. John believes “there is no reason to suffer”(Gilman 649). Similarly, John is underestimating his wife’s sickness like other professionals that were criticized by Freud. Doctors can mistreat their patients but your own family shouldn’t specially when you’re in that state of mental health because it will make your case get worse. Moreover, the results of being locked in a nursery, not being allowed to write, and most importantly not being listened to or cared for especially from her husband led the narrator to hallucinate. The narrator believes there is a “woman stooping and creeping about behind that pattern.. She wanted to get out”(Gilman 652). Because she’s locked, she pictures a woman being locked in the yellow wallpaper which reflects on how she feels. Therefore, if her husband  showed her interest then her case wouldn’t progress to hallucination.

Bitzer

Any writing should have a purpose, genre, exigence, and audience. Because COVID-19 originated in China, the rhetorical circumstance of my chosen social media post is about an Asian teacher who experiences challenges as a result of the virus, and she is blamed because she is from that region. This media post includes a rhetorical situation because it was posted to raise awareness to the ignorant people that blame others for a global problem only because they originated from a certain background. The post addresses the virus and racism, which are very popular topics today, making the audience a very large and diverse group of people. According to Lloyd F. Bitzer, “A rhetorical work is analogous to a moral action rather than to a tree. An act is moral because it is an act performed in a situation of a certain kind”(4). This tweet was uploaded to show people what others face just because of their ethnicity which is an example of a rhetorical situation.

Thesis

Through Freud’s lens, the doctor sees a reflection of how he thinks others view him, useless and weak, through the Freudian concepts of dreamwork, displacement and condensation, which was caused by the repression of his thoughts in real life.

Synthesize

Sometimes our mind fulfills the desires we can’t accomplish in real life which is one of the concepts of Freud’s dreamwork, wish fulfillment. However, the doctor’s dream didn’t allow him to fulfill that wish, saving his maid from the groom. For example, the doctor states “ I remember Rose again; what was I to do, how could I rescue her, how could I pull her away from under that groom at ten miles’ distance, with a team of horses I couldn’t control. ”(Kafka n.pg.). Simply, the doctor can’t rescue Rose from the groom that’s trying to attack her because he’s far away which implies how he thinks of himself and how others view him in real life. The doctor thinks he’s not in control and is incapable of saving his maid. While wish-fulfillment is supposed to satisfy your unconscious mind, it does the opposite for the doctor since he can’t be successful in saving Rose which makes him feel useless. Furthermore, the horses can be seen as a condensed symbol that further explains how the doctor views himself as a male. The doctor states, “My own horse had died in the night…two horses, enormous creatures with powerful flanks, one after the other, their legs tucked close to their bodies, each well-shaped head lowered like camel’s”(Kafka n.pg.). Moreover, the horses can be a symbol of strength which indicates that the doctor views himself as weak since he stated that his horses died while the groom’s horses were very strong. If this is seen from the perspective of sexual strength, then the doctor views himself as a weak male.

Metaphorical Musings

One of Reid’s “Metaphoric Musings” that would help me become a better writer is number four, “What’s in an Audience”. I always looked at the concept of thinking about our audience while writing in a very vague way. Now, I understand it and its importance way more than I did before. This is because the example she used made me look at it from a very specific point of view. For example, Reid states “If I just said, “Write a message to try to get some money from someone,” you might struggle a bit, and then come up with some vague points about your situation. But if I say, “Ask your best friend for the money,” you should suddenly have a very clear idea of what you can say” (Reid pg. 9). Simply, knowing our audience makes us write in a way that will make them understand while getting our point across. For instance, If I am writing an essay to my teacher about a story we discussed in class, I would assume she knows the story so I won’t include a lot of details. On the other hand, If I am writing about a  story but I know that someone who never read the story will read my essay then, I will make sure I analyze and add more details so they can have a better understanding of the story. I would like to also include another example (Not part of my paragraph). In Freud’s Five Lecture, his way of speaking was very simple because he knows that his audience can be students or people that wouldn’t understand the science language.

Hulst’s “Grammar, Rhetoric, and Style”

James Baldwin used figurative language and word choice in his story Sonny’s Blue. According to Hulst, his choice is significant because it will reach the target audience, everyone. These options will help him make his point, which is racism and what it leads to. For instance, he uses the phrase “Blackness” to convey two concepts: the darkness within the people and the color of their skin. He also uses a “low ceiling” to demonstrate that people of color have limited actions but unlimited desire.

Bizup’s “The Ethics Of Style”

Original: It doesn’t matter what someone is wearing or how they are acting, no one asks to be raped because people who sexually assault often use force, threat, or injury. An absence of injuries does not indicate the victim consented. (From Sexual Violence Myth and Misconception)

Rewritten: Unfortunately, society’s opinion on sexual assault, that dressing in a specific way allows one to commit such crimes, is wrong because no one wants to be put in such a situation because rapists use aggression and force, which is not pleasant.

In the original sentence, It gets to the point by discussing what victims wear and how it doesn’t matter. In the rewritten version, it begins with a word that states that it is bad news, that society judges sexual assault victims based on what they wear. This syntax allows readers to connect emotionally with victims in order to help them by opposing society’s irrational ideas. Then, it explains why it is irrational by stating that rapists use force and aggressiveness.

CONTENT SECTION

The Angel And Devil

The angel and devil on our shoulders are very straightforward theorems. Evil wants you to engage in all of the negative behaviors and thoughts, while the angel encourages you to do what is right and think positively. Superego and Id, on the other hand, are very different. The Id is a part of your identity that you are born with; it is not a devil. Id is also your unconscious level of functioning, where you’re constantly seeking pleasure or desire. Superego is a self-critical conscience that reflects social values taught by leaders such as parents or teachers.  As a consequence, the structures of your personality that drive your behavior are Id and superego, the depiction of a character’s inner conflicts, whereas angel and evil are not part of our identity but an inner voice. “The id of course knows no judgments of value: no good and evil, no morality. The economic or, if you prefer, the quantitative factor, which is intimately linked to the pleasure principle, dominates all its processes. Instinctual cathexes seeking discharge”. The content of the delusions of being observed already suggests that the observing is only a preparation for judging and punishing, and we accordingly guess that another function of this agency must be what we call our conscience”.

Literary Text For Critical Research Analysis Paper

After reading the four texts, I decided that I will be using “Sonny’s Blues”. Even though it’s the longest text out of the four, I feel like I can analyze and find so many psychoanalytic concepts. The other texts can also be analyzed but they’re very short. For example, “Eight Bites” is very short but it’s about eating disorders so you can still find concepts, just not as much as “Sonny’s Blues”. Also, “Sonny’s Blues” is a very interesting story because it has so many events that many of us can relate to even though it’s about African Americans but the struggles they face and the way they escape them are very similar to what many individuals do. For example, Sonny, the narrator’s brother, expresses his feelings of suffering through music which can be seen as an artistic gift according to Freud. Many of us escape reality but doing things we like such as drawing, painting, listening to music, etc. There are also many metaphors that can assist us in analyzing the text in a way that will support the notions we use.

Concepts in Freud’s Fifth Lecture 

Freud introduces five concepts in his fifth and final lecture. One of the concepts that I would like to discuss more is Sublimation. Sublimation is a technique that allows us to act out undesirable impulses by transforming them into more acceptable activities. According to Freud, “Owing to their repressions, neurotics have sacrificed many sources of mental energy whose contributions would have been of great value in the formation of their character and their activity in life. We know of a far more expedient process of development (Freud 2238).” It’s all about maturing and transforming any stress into acceptable behaviors. You can harm yourself mentally or physically if you don’t have a well-developed mechanism like sublimation. You can either repress those negative feelings, which will lead to depression or even withdraw from society and become a loner as a result of them. You may, however, turn those unpleasant feelings into something positive. For example, if a woman has recently experienced a breakup, instead of crying, being angry, or depressed, she might channel that negative energy towards improving herself by eating healthier, exercising, and so on. This mechanism is a process of transforming a terrible situation into something beneficial. People with a well-developed defense mechanism, such as sublimation, are fortunate in that they constantly see the bright side of things and how it might push them to become a better version of themselves.

The Country Doctor

The horses can be seen as a condensed symbol of strength which indicates that the doctor views himself as weak since he stated that his horses died while the groom’s horses were very strong. For example, the doctor states, “My own horse had died in the night…two horses, enormous creatures with powerful flanks, one after the other, their legs tucked close to their bodies, each well-shaped head lowered like camel’s”(Kafka n.pg.). If this is seen from the perspective of sexual strength, then the doctor views his sexual status as weak because he claims his horses are dead while vigorously describing the groom’s horses. Also, they can symbolize lack of control since they took him away from saving Rose. For example, “”Gee up!” he said; clapped his hands; the gig whirled off like a log in a freshet; I could just hear the door of my house splitting then I was deafened and blinded by a storming rush that steadily buffeted all my senses”(Kafka n.pg.). Only the groom can control these strong horses so by commanding the horses to start moving, the doctor is far away from saving Rose. He is also shook in this part because of how he lacks control in the horses he’s riding. If I analyze “A Country Doctor” the same way Freud would, I would interpret it as a nightmare. The last sentence of “A Country Doctor” states “A false alarm on the night bell once answered—it cannot be made good, not ever”. It is clear that the entire story is the predictable result of one mistake. It all started with one call that caused a hallucination, a nightmare. His visit to the patient appears to be a visit into the bewildering depths of his own mind. The odd patient who awaits him is a creation of the doctor’s imagination; he could be considered a piece of the doctor’s mind. This story illustrates the psychoanalytic concepts of the unconscious and dreamwork.

The Sick Rose and Freud’s Dreamwork

Using the elements of Freud’s dream work can change the overall interpretation of any writing. This is because it helps me personally analyze the writing deeper and come up with different meanings to it. First, the latent content element is simply the hidden meaning behind a dream. In the poem “The Sick Rose”, it’s talking about worms and roses but that’s only the literal meaning behind it. I would interpret this poem as the rose symbolizing love and the worm is something that’s destroying the rose, love, or making it unhealthy. I can also interpret this into a happy soul, the rose, becoming sad as time passes because of today’s society, the worm, and the negativity they project on others. In addition, this leads to the other element of dreamwork, condensation, the rose and the worm can symbolize many other things. Furthermore, I can interpret this poem in a different way than somebody else would because my mind wants to understand it this way. Maybe because I relate to it or it’s what I want to translate it to, while others may take it to a different direction with a different meaning that their mind brings them to. This is wishful fulfillment, when your mind gives you what you want in a dream since you can’t accomplish it in real life. Manifest content is also an element that helps structure your dream but in this poem it was used to concisely describe the symbols used helping us as readers to imagine how it would literally look like. For example, “bed of crimson joy” makes me imagine what the rose looks like. Lastly, the displacement element is basically a protection made to hurt your feelings in real life knowing that it’s a dream.

The Yellow Wallpaper

In “The Yellow Paper”, the relationship between the main character and her husband is kind of strange because he tries to make her feel comfortable while she thinks he’s controlling her. However, she feels like his way of helping her is not working at all, it’s just making her feel worse. For example, page 648 states “he is very careful and loving.. He hardly lets me stir without special direction”. He’s trying to be as helpful and supportive as he can to her. He also sounds like a father sometimes because he tells her what to do and what to not do in order for her to get better. However, she starts doing things on her own and not listening to him because she’s tired of being told what to do and it’s not making her get better. she also said “I get unreasonably angry with John… he frightens me sometimes”. Moreover, In Page 655, it states “Then I peeled off all the paper I could reach standing on the floor…I am getting angry enough to do something desperate”. This explains that she started doing things that John wouldn’t allow her to do which resulted in her getting angry. This can affect her mental state because she’s supposed to feel calm and relaxed but instead, her mental state went from no change to getting worse.

One of Freud’s concepts was mentioned in “The Yellow Paper”. Absence is one of the concepts because when they first went to the house, she said something frightens her about the house. She doesn’t know what it is but she feels something strange. Also, the furniture in the room reminds her of her childhood. This is because when the furniture in her old room looked too fierce, she would hop in the chair to feel safe. The furniture in her new room is quite similar to her childhood room.