Home » Free Write

Free Write

My biggest weakness in this draft is misunderstanding the text. I had this problem for the peer review paragraph because when I saw my classmates paragraph, it was different from what I wrote. It made me panic a little because it probably means I am getting a zero on it. I will be going to office hours so I can understand the story better from the professor. Also, analyzing the evidence I use is one major problem I have while writing. When I was in high school, I would always get feedback from my teacher that everything in my essay is perfectly fine except for analyzing the evidence so I always make sure I work on it. Procrastinating is also a big problem when it comes to writing essay. I just think of it as a huge thing, more like a whole project but the minute I start writing I get in the mood of writing then I just get more creative and finish the whole essay. 

Some of the weaknesses I think I have in my writing are probably grammar. It might also be the way I put my thesis in the introduction, it wasn’t so flowy. I feel like I should have explained it more. Also, I think I might’ve been a little repetitive with some of the words I used. The short story I chose to analyze for my exploratory essay is “ A Country Doctor” because the way it’s written and the details in it sound like it was a nightmare so I’ll be more able to connect it to Freud’s lecture on dream work.

Annoying ways people quote:

The way I quoted in my previous essay was wrong because I didn’t introduce my quote. I would just put the quote right after my explanation. I used to actually introduce my quotes but I thought not introducing them would create more of a flowy movement in my essay because I’ve seen many students do it that way during peer review.  

How my Halloween went:

I don’t celebrate Halloween so it was a regular day. However, my little brother was very upset because he didn’t have a costume and his class will have a party where all his classmates will wear costumes. I bought him a star wars costume last minute. It was like 9 pm and he was so happy when he saw it. It wasn’t safe this Halloween though so my younger siblings didn’t go trick or treating. I got used to them getting a bag full of candy each Halloween but this time we bought it. 

What stylistic choices did your chosen author make in his or her short story?  What rhetorical situation was the author responding to?

I’m Sonny’s blue, the author uses metaphors to combine what he wants to say with the fact that they’re African Americans. He’s telling the story of his brother who’s suffering and escapes reality by selling and taking drugs, heroin. His audience were everyone because he wanted to show people a specific story of what discrimination is and how these people get through it. 

What is your favorite part of your chosen lit text and how does that part support the author’s critique of society?

My favorite part of “Sonny’s Blue” is on the first page when Sonny’s brother, the narrator, knew that sonny was arrested for heroin. He was on his way to high school since he is an algebra teacher so he was remembering sonny when he was young. Then, my favorite part that shows his critique of society comes. He states that these boys, his students,  are growing up under a low ceiling that their heads bumped abruptly against the low ceiling of their actual possibilities. Hes saying that these boys are trying their best at school not knowing their desires are limited as people of color.